Sunday, June 7, 2009

Handle with Care

Handle with Care Handle with Care by Jodi Picoult

My review

rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was a book club selection and my third Jodi Picoult book. Jodi Picoult doesn't disappoint the reader in this novel. Just as you can expect from her, there are twists and turns and you never know when she is going to drop the big one. I was sucked in from the beginning and had a hard time putting it down. Essentially, the book is about two best friends, one being an OBGYN. The one gets pregnant and ends up giving birth to a child with Osteogenesis Imperfecta or better know as brittle bone syndrome. The mom later sues her best friend for malpractice. Would she have aborted the baby? That is the question. What would you do? And how could you sue your best friend? You see both sides and it is hard to determine what you would do if you were her and lived her life. While reading the book, I empathized with all the characters (to a point). I thought the plot and characters were very similar to "My Sister's Keeper," which I loved. I couldn't tell how she was going to end it, so it kept me reading. I liked it, but am glad I'm done. The issue in this book is extremely controversial and as a parent, made me feel uneasy at times. Jodi Picoult definitely leaves you coming back for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment